Hey guys, if you follow me on twitter you may know that last night I notice that Trixie was poorly. Whilst changing the hay I noticed that her bum end was really bald, red and swollen! Now previously I had thought she had a UTI (urinary tract infection) because she was really wet around her bum like she had been weeing herself, so I cleaned her up and gave her a bath and she seemed to get better, she stopped being so wet anyway. Also she was really squeeky all last week, but I put that down to the fact she could smell grass and wanted a treat and when fed a treat she was fine.
So today I took her to the vet, all day she had pretty much been sitting in the same position not moving, eating or drinking I was really worried and had to wait till 5 to get her to the vet. Anyway, he examined her and said that basically she could have a UTI and that's what she's being treated for but also she could have stones. Now that's really quiet bad, and pretty common in guinea pigs. To find out whether she has stones though she needs an x-ray, which means she will have to be sedated and for anyone who has small animal will know, this is potentially dangerous as they may not wake up.
She's on Metacam & Baytril, and if she's no better by Saturday the vet said to bring her in that day because if its a UTI it should have cleared up a bit by then and if it hasn't then it's probably stones!
I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that she gets better because I really don't want her to have to be sedated, she's only 3 so not too old but never the less it still carries risks.
This is what her bum looks like at the moment, a bit bald and soar. Just before I put her back in the cage with Amber she started bleed though, like a really gloopy kind of blood, worrying but I guess tonight is going to get worse before it gets better. I've given her one Metacam and one Baytril. I have to give two of one of them a day but I cant remember which one, Baytril I would imagine.
Look away if your about to have dinner!!!
Anyway, I will keep you all updated daily on how Trixie is doing!
If your going through the same thing at the moment or have gone through the same thing the please leave a comment I would love to hear about your stories!
Cat
x


No comments:
Post a Comment